Our intrepid heroes set out from Neverwinter on a journey to Phandalin. They were tasked with seeing a caravan of supplies delivered safely to Barthen’s provisions by their patron Gundren Rockseeker.
Gundren set off ahead of the party, with his bodyguard Sildar Hallwinter. The party discovered the dead horses of Gundren and Sildar, and tracked the goblin culprits back to the Cragmaw Hideout. There they rescued Sildar, defeated the bugbear Klarg, and learned of the existence of King Grol. Sildar told the adventurers that he believes Gundren has been taken to King Grol at Cragmaw Castle, along with the map to Wave Echo Cave, by order of the Black Spider.
The party continued to Phandalin with Sildar and delivered the supplies to Barthen’s. After spending a night and a morning in the town, they learned several pieces of information:
- Toblen Stonehill runs the local inn. His barmaid Elsa mentioned a nearby “moon temple” overrun with bird-men.
- A group named the Redbrands, led by a man named Glasstaff, has been harassing the people of Phandalin, throwing their weight around, and generally making a nuisance of themselves.
- The Redbrands are believed to have a stronghold under Tresendar Manor.
- Toblen’s wife Trilena said that the woodcarver, Thel Dendrar, stood up to the Redbrands but was murdered in the street. His wife and children have since gone missing.
- The Redbrands hassle every business in town, except the Miner’s Exchange.
- Daran Edermath is a retired adventurer who now keeps the orchard. He asked the adventurers to investigate rumors of necromancy at the Old Owl Well.
- The townmaster, Harbin Wester, doesn’t consider the Redbrands to be a problem, but did ask the party to eliminate the Orc menace that has taken up residence at Wyvern Tor.
- Sildar has not been able to locate his friend, Iarno Albrek, so has established himself at the townmaster’s hall to help bring order to the region. He asked the party to investigate the manor try and learn of Iarno’s fate. Additionally, he has encouraged the party to keep up the pressure on the Cragmaw’s, and has offered a rich reward if they are able to defeat the tribe. He holds out little hope for Gundren’s safe return.
Not long after this, the adventurers went to the Sleeping Giant tavern to confront the Redbrands. After defeating four ruffians, they continued on to the Manor.
After a victory over three resting guards, an unlucky brush with a pit-trap, and a brief skirmish with some skeletons, the party found themselves facing off with two guards in the cell room.
In the cells were Mirna Dendrar and her children Nars and Nilsa. She asked the party to free her and her family, and help her find her husband Thel, whom she had not seen for many days. The party was unable to force their way into the cells to free the Dendrars.
Now as our heroes quest to drive off the Redbrands, they are also in pursuit of keys to the cells…